As a requirement of participation with Ascent Fraser Valley Guides and Mountain School, you will be required to sign a waiver of liability prior to the beginning of the activity.
Course Duration: 2 days (8-10 hours/day)
- Sea to Sky: Squamish/Mamquam River
- Fraser Valley: Chilliwack River
Class Ratio: 1:8 Guide to Guest
The West Coast of North America is home to some of the best lake paddling and coastline paddling on earth, and there is no better way to explore the backcountry than to bike into new zones and paddle back out of them. This course is designed to give packrafters the necessary skills to use their packrafts largely on flatwater and easy rivers, and gives you additional knowledge and skills to incorporate your bike into your Packrafting adventures.
The day will commence on dryland and will progress to on-the-water instruction which focuses on building a foundation of paddling, water awareness and trip planning skills. The venues for this course offer a great progression from safe and fun flatwater lake paddling through to basic river running.
On Day 2 of this course, you will practice running easy rivers and paddling while carrying your bike on your packraft.
- Participants should be comfortable swimming with a PFD
- Participants should be prepared to spend a full day outside in a range of weather conditions
- Participants will be responsible for staying fed and hydrated through the day
Gear Required: *
- Single person Packraft**
- Gravel bike with detachable front tire
- PFD (non-inflatable model)
- Dry suit (strongly encouraged)
- Neoprene gloves or pogies (optional)
- Closed toe shoes: paddling shoes or runners
- Dry bag or bow bag for keeping gear dry
- Helmet (in good repair)
- Hot drink in a thermos (if you get cold)
- Dry/warm Clothes & a Towel
- Water bottle
*It is the clients responsibility to secure equipment prior to the course or trip. If renting through Mt. Waddington Outdoors, you will receive a 10% discount code for online rentals. Please allow adequate time to acquire your rental gear, specifically if shipment is required.
**Packraft availability varies from Mt. Waddington Outdoors. Please secure a packraft well before the course date.
Venue: Chilliwack River (Chilliwack) Mamquam River (Squamish)